Sunday, August 9, 2009

Road Trip! Day Two - UT to CO










When you're on the road, you get to meet people who are just like you. People who are also in transition, or on vacation, looking for fun and adventure. We didn't have the luxury of excess time on this road trip, but we had fun and learned some cool stuff along the way. At Zion National Park, we learned about lizards from a park ranger. I lived in Florida most of my early years, and never did I learn as much about lizards as I did in Zion.

The second night, we stayed in Green River, UT, but just barely. It was a Saturday night at summer's end. Nearly all the awful little motels were booked. Just before Emerson had enough, we found a room at the Quality Inn, maybe?, not that it matters. Green River has a small year-round population - in the hundreds - who mainly cater to vacation-goers who wish to raft on the Green River, or people who make award-winning melons (I'm not kidding). I wish I took a picture of the melon stand. I easily built up my melon knowledge by talking to one of the award-winning melon breeders. Ever have a Crenshaw? It has green skin, but pinkish-orange flesh, and heaven on earth. Melon Days is coming up in Green River, September 18-19, 2009: http://www.greenriverutah.com/melondays.html. Oh, and if you visit, make sure you eat at the Tamarisk, they serve beer AND coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers