Sunday, August 23, 2009

Trip to Beaver Creek













Emerson and I left the old ranch for higher mountains.

First we picked up my L.A. friend Tammy Rosen, who flew into Denver Airport for a little break from Hollywood (she IS my manager friend). Tammy invited us to join her and her family at the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek ski resort, (the sister resort of Vail, CO.)

Beaver Creek is beautiful, and coincidentally, the first place in the west I ever skied. It looks so different now, as does Vail's now-massive village.

Day one, we took the chair lift up to the top, which has an elevation of 11,440 ft. (The little white dots down below in the photo is our hotel.) Pretty steep and it is missing the normal amount of oxygen! I've acclimated myself to Boulder's elevation (5,430 ft), close to Denver at 5,281 ft. - which why it's called the Mile High City. Emerson seemed fine on the 15 minute ride, even when the lift stalled. I hid my fears, mostly from him and tried not to look DOWN! As my dear friend Amy S., texted me later said - I will need to get used to this stuff in order to go skiing. But then, what if I just don't ever go skiing? At the mountain's top, my friend (who I have not known to be an athlete) - extreme mountain biked it down with her Uncle Ray. Go, Tam!

One of the best parts of living in Colorado is that a great old friend of mine visits her daughter each summer. Jean Trebbi, lady extraordinaire, along with 3 librarian friends, all drove down to have drinks and reminisce on Sunday night - Emerson's 3rd birthday! The last I saw Jean was Miami's airport, after we spent a week in Cuba together. I was pregnant at the time - and Fidel was still at the helm... what an amazing trip, but I digress.

Here is the E Superhero and Pirate! (He LOVES the idea of make-up, and dress up now. His cousin Allison can attest - in Maine, she put her sparkly make-up on E every time he asked.) Happy 3rd birthday, sweetheart!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers